High-profile prisoners housed at the Georgetown Penitentiary, Camp Street, will soon be transferred to a high security, brick prison constructed at a cost in excess of million.The decision to construct the high security prison block was made following the findings of the Commission of Inquiry (CoI) into the March prison riots at the Camp Street Prison.Speaking to media operatives at the Cecil Kilkenny Prison Officers’ Training School, in Lusignan recently, Public Security Minister Khemraj Ramjattan said the “brick block” of the Camp Street Prison to house high-profile prisoners has minor corrections to be done before being commissioned.“The brick block is completed with the exception of the doors… I didn’t want to risk putting any prisoners there (in its current state) because it was the hardcore prisoners who were supposed to go there, into that brick prison,” Minister Ramjattan explained.The faulty door, the Minister said, would be fixed shortly as the contractor has to resource some of the locking system apparatus and paraphernalia from overseas.The brick prison, which was built in the compound of the Camp Street jail to house more than 300 high-profile prisoners, was scheduled to be completed by the end of July.During the sitting of the CoI into the prison riots, Attorney Selwyn Pieters, who represented the Guyana Prison Service, said Government needed to invest financially in constructing a brick prison, since the main prison is housed in the country’s capital city, which is also the country’s business capital.Further, Pieters pointed out that Superintendent Kevin Pilgrim, Officer-in-Charge of the Georgetown Penitentiary, in his testimony, had said the old wooden structures make it easy for inmates to hide contraband and posed challenges for officers assigned to the living units.“Wood buildings at the Georgetown Prisons… have their place, and their place now is ‘historic relics’; those are not places to house prisoners,” Pieters told the Commission at that time.
January 12, 2020
A jury was asked to return a formal verdict of not guilty in favour of a man who was initially sentenced to a 55-year jail term for murder.Justice Priya Sewnarine Beharry on Wednesday upheld a no-case submission and directed the jury to enter a formal verdict of not guilty thus freeing 39-year-old Naresh Ramjohn of Stanleytown, and Angoy’s Avenue, New Amsterdam.It was his second trial for the July 2, 2008, murder of Anthony Samaroo. In 2014, a jury had found Ramjohn guilty and Justice Navendra Singh had imposed a 55 ½ years jail term.The sentence was subsequently appealed. Attorney Murseline Bacchus had contended that the trial Judge had not given the jury proper guidance.The Appeal Court then ordered a retrial with Justice Priya Sewnarine-Beharry presided over that retrial.The prosecution’s case was presented by Attorney Mandel Moore.Justice Sewnarine-Beharry had earlier rejected the prosecution’s effort to have the statement of star witness Ryan Samaroo admitted. Ryan Samaroo, who had given evidence in the Preliminary Inquiry, suddenly disappeared from the area.Another brother, Tejpaul Samaroo, who is a prisoner in the New Amsterdam Prison, had also testified in the Magistrate’s Court at the first trial. He told the court that he does not know who killed his brother and denied helping to take his brother to the hospital.Defence Attorney Arudranauth Gossai in his no-case submissions told the court that there is no evidence to link his client to the crime. He said the prosecution witness, Brian Dhanpat, stated that he saw the incident and it was “Saddam’s” brothers who were seen inflicting wounds to the now dead Samaroo.Gossai also submitted that there was no evidence submitted that the murder was premeditated.The prosecution’s case was that on the day in question, Ryan Samaroo was walking on Levi Dam, when he was confronted by Ramjohn who stabbed him to death.
January 11, 2020
Anxiously returning each night to the spot where they saw the elusive bird, Saugus neighbors Savaikie and Katherine Squiers have come up dry. The happenchance astounded Savaikie, who recognizes dozens of species by their call alone and has spent years tracking the owl. “It took us a few minutes to believe we were witnessing what we were witnessing,” she said. “We just sat down on the curb and observed it.” Like other owls, the species is nocturnal, but they often roost outside the dugouts during the day. They’re most active at dusk and dawn, swooping down to snatch a meal of mice or beetles. Savaikie has plastered the neighborhood with fliers asking residents to temporarily lock cats indoors and refrain from applying rodent poison, which is toxic to owls who eat the mice. Every year, thousands of owls and hawks migrate to Southern California for the winter and some live here year-round. Savaikie’s unusual sighting marks a midwinter record, Cooper said. Wintering birds need ample space and food, and low groundcover that allows them to spot predators. “They’re gone from the San Fernando Valley, and along the coast the first overwintering bird in 20 years was spotted last year at Ballona Wetlands … it’s back for the second winter,” he said with glee. “It’s not like the bird is totally gone from the Los Angeles area … the Ballona bird proved it can still overwinter – we need to help them out a little.” The species is surprisingly easy to conserve, he said. “All they need is a big vacant lot and some safe places to live underground, and they can survive very well side-by-side with humans,” he said. A burrowing owl symposium was scheduled in Lancaster on Friday, where experts planned to discuss the species’ distribution and conservation strategies. Conservation groups and government agencies alike rely on data collected by the nonprofit IBP, which has surveyed burrowing owl populations. The group has embarked on a special two-year study that may help shape future conservation plans. Volunteers help conduct the bird census. “This survey is a great opportunity for nonscientists to participate in data collection to benefit the burrowing owls,” Siegel said. To participate in the IBP survey, log on to www.birdpop.org/burrowing.htm. firstname.lastname@example.org (661) 257-5255160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SANTA CLARITA – Finding a suitable home’s not always easy, but for one rare bird even the perfect love nest won’t do. Tears welled in the eyes of local birders out for a stroll Monday night when by chance they spotted a tiny Western burrowing owl – which shuns twiggy nests for an underground hole. Once numerous in Santa Clarita, the owls are listed as a vulnerable species statewide due to their dwindling numbers. “I was shocked, I was so touched and I was very excited,” said environmentalist Teresa Savaikie, an avid birder. “I couldn’t believe it was in my neighborhood. We were like kids in a candy store jumping up and down – from a distance.” They are among the smallest owl types, standing roughly 10 inches tall, with some weighing just 5 ounces. The raptors nest in abandoned ground squirrel burrows, often captivating even seasoned onlookers. “The burrowing owl is one of our charismatic birds, it’s a symbol of the wide open spaces we once had in Southern California,” said Daniel Cooper, a conservation biologist, who owns Pasadena-based Cooper Ecological Monitoring Inc. Experts largely pin the bird’s decades-long decline on shrinking habitat as development encroaches. The owls’ breeding range is from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean, and from just north of the Canadian border to South America. In California that range has contracted, and most of the remaining birds are found in the Central and Imperial valleys, said Rodney Siegel, program director for The Institute for Bird Populations, based in Point Reyes Station. Surveys conducted in California in the early 1990s estimated roughly 9,200 breeding pairs of owls remained statewide, a precipitous drop from a decade earlier. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the California Department of Fish and Game list the bird as a species of special concern, and it could ascend to the endangered species list in the future.
January 11, 2020
With a processing capacity of approximately 11 million cubic meters per day or 400 million standard cubic feet, the Groundbirch Deep Cut facility would be located just east of already existing Montney gas plants, although a specific location hasn’t been released. It would be accompanied by a 400 metre power line.However, few other details are available, as Shell says it’s still in its “early days” but wanted to begin consultation as early as possible. It will need permits from the B.C. Oil and Gas Commission, as well as an environmental assessment.- Advertisement –
January 6, 2020
1 Fulham forward Marcello Trotta has been told he can leave Craven Cottage on loan.Caretaker boss Kit Symons has given the Italy under-21 international, who has not featured for the west London club this term, the green light to play first-team football elsewhere.The 22-year-old joined the Whites in 2009 but has spent most of his time out on loan at clubs including Wycombe Wanderers and Brentford.And now Symons has revealed Trotta is free to make a temporary switch elsewhere and gain more experience in English football.He said: “Marcello is a player I know well from the under-18s and under-21s. There’s been a couple of potential loans and he’s looking to go out. There’s definitely mileage in that.“Footballers who are not playing are not much good to anyone and they won’t be happy themselves. We need to get the appropriate games programme for every player.” Fulham forward Marcello Trotta
January 6, 2020
0Shares0000Lewandowski credits ex-Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp with developing him into a world-class striker © AFP/File / BERTRAND LANGLOISBERLIN, Germany, Feb 18 – Robert Lewandowski hopes to torment his mentor Jurgen Klopp when Bayern Munich face Liverpool in Tuesday’s Champions League clash.Lewandowski, Bayern’s top-scorer with 25 goals in 30 games this season, is relishing playing at Anfield when he leads the Germans’ attack in the last 16, first leg. “I know that their fans don’t want us or me to score a goal or win, but for me personally, in such an atmosphere I’m even more energised at kick-off,” he told UEFA.com.“That’s what makes it special for me and I’m excited to play in such a stadium. And if you win, it’s even better.”Lewandowski arrived at Borussia Dortmund as a 21-year-old to work under current Liverpool boss Klopp when neither he, nor the German head coach were yet household names.“He made a huge impact on my career. I have to be thankful to him because of what we did together at Dortmund,” said Lewandowski.“We grew together and it’s led me to where I am today.“He released that striker’s instinct in me and that allowed me to make the next step up.“I didn’t know that I still had so much potential, more than I thought, and that means he saw something in me that I couldn’t see.”Lewandowski scored eight goals in 33 games in his first Bundesliga season, when Klopp made his name with Dortmund’s first Bundesliga title for nine years.More silverware followed in 2011/12 when Dortmund again won the title and added the German Cup with a 5-2 thumping of Bayern Munich in the final when Lewandowski scored a hat-trick in Berlin.The Polish international cemented his status as one of the world’s best strikers by scoring all four goals when Real Madrid were routed 4-1 on a golden night in the 2012/13 Champions League.Dortmund went on to lose the final to Bayern at Wembley and Lewandowski signed for the Bavarian giants on a free contract a year later.He has now scored 176 goals in 225 games for Bayern.Lewandowski has scored 25 goals so far this season © dpa/AFP/File / Matthias BalkLewandowski sees the Anfield clash as a chance for Bayern to prove themselves after exiting the Champions League at the hands of Real Madrid in each of the last two seasons.“When you’re playing against Liverpool, a team that has so many good players, anything can happen. But for us, if we are ready 100 percent, anything can happen for us as well.“In the round of 16, one mistake can make the difference.”0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)
December 29, 2019
This Friday morning we look ahead to the expected appointment of Sam Allardyce as England manager.There is also a look ahead to the second test between England and Pakistan getting underway at Old Trafford and reaction to Chris Froome’s stage 18 win at the Tour de France.We also discuss the Russia doping scandal, Leeds Rhinos 24-20 away win against Hull KR in Super League and the first of the World Matchplay Darts quarter-finals in Blackpool.All brought to you by Will Gavin and the team.
December 29, 2019
A campaign of intimidation has been waged against a senior Donegal County Council official and other staff after a person was refused housing.Staff at County House in Lifford were intimidatedThe campaign came to a head yesterday after hundreds of fake racist emails were sent out claiming to be from the council official.It has now been revealed the campaign started a year ago when several staff at County House in Lifford were sent abusive emails. The senior official targeted yesterday had confronted the person and told them that such offensive emails would not be tolerated.He also told the person that all housing applications would be considered in the normal way on merit.The person also allegedly registered web domain names in the council official’s name in order to pursue a personal campaign against him.Gardaí investigated the matter and, it is understood, a file was prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions. It is also understood computer equipment was seized as part of the inquiry. The alleged intimidation ceased for a period of time but recommenced on Thursday when the individual concerned both texted and phoned the official on his mobile number while he was at home.Sources said the council’s solicitors had written to the individual concerned.The emails send yesterday claims to be from the official and that he is starting a new political party in Donegal.The email also contains racist comments.Gardaí are now also investigating the latest contact with the official and the emails sent in recent days. A Garda spokesman said he could not comment on named individuals.HOUSE REFUSAL BEHIND CAMPAIGN OF INTIMIDATION AGAINST COUNCIL STAFF was last modified: June 1st, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Donegal County Councilemailsharassmenthouseintimidation
December 27, 2019
1 Nice star Jean-Michael Seri Nice have slapped a £33.5million price tag on Arsenal and Tottenham target Jean-Michael Seri, according to reports in his native Ivory Coast.The north London rivals are among the clubs tracking the talented midfielder, who has scored six goals and set up seven more during his 32 Ligue 1 outings so far this term.It was reported earlier this month that Seri’s agent travelled to London to hold informal talks about a potential summer move with both Arsenal and Spurs.Everton and Southampton are also said to retain an interest while Borussia Dortmund, expected to be busy during the transfer window, are also monitoring his situation.And now, according to reports from his homeland, Nice have also held talks with Seri’s agent in order to agree a fee for which he can be sold this summer.It had been reported earlier this year that the 25-year-old could be available for around £17m, but now the French club will require nearly double that in order to sell.Nice paid Portuguese club Pacos de Ferreira just £850,000 to land him in 2015 so they now stand to make a huge profit on him once the window opens.
December 27, 2019
Bingo in Dunkineely on Friday night at 9pm. Prize money of €1170 paid out, 2 of the panel prizes at €100, one at €120 & one at € 70. Three of the line prizes at €40. The additional prize for checking on the magic number on the last panel, has now reached a massive €1,520. The Take you Pick Jackpot of is €220.The club’s next monthly meeting will be held tonight, Wednesday June 13th at 8:30pm. All club members are all very welcome. Again at underage level there was a huge amount of football played throughout last week in various age groups.Our U12 team continued their excellent run of form beating Naomh Brid 3-8 to 0-2. The U14 were out twice last week but sustained two losses to Glen and Naomh Naille, despite these losses the team have earned a spot in the Division 3 league regional final where they meet Killybegs. The game is fixed for Wednesday June 20th, venue yet to be confirmed. Both Senior and Reserve teams were out in action over on Saturday evening last away to Letterkenny Gaels. The reserves continued their string of good results by beating Gaels 1-11 to 1-8.The team, down by four points early in the first half, clawed back at Gaels before the interval to make it a one point game. A goal from the returning Patrick White restored there lead and they then finished the game out well. Scorers were – Paul McGeoghan (0-4), Patrick White (1-0), Liam Kennedy & Sean Furey (0-2), Paul Murrin, Ronan Murrin & Kevin O’Donnell (0-1). The Senior team made it two from two games with a convincing 8 point win on a scoreline of 3-12 to 3-4. With scores level at half time the boys gave a very strong second half performance banging in 3-6 in the half. Scorers were – Dermot Gallier (1-6), Aaron Byrne (2-2), Aiden Duddy (0-2), Cian Kennedy & Alan Lyons (0-1). Both teams are fixed to play Naomh Colmille on Sunday next in Dunkineely.GAA NEWS: NAOMH ULTAN CLUB NOTES was last modified: June 11th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:NAOMH ULTAN GAA CLUB NOTES